New Eton House is based in Slough, a large town in Berkshire. Slough has 96 listed buildings within the area, which include: St Laurence’s, St Mary’s Church and also Slough railway station.
St Laurence’s Church in Upton is around 900 years old, while St Mary’s Church in Langley was most likely built in the late 11th or early 12th century, though it has been re-built and enlarged several times. Slough Station opened in 1840 when the railway from London to the west was built.
The first recorded mention of Slough was in 1196, when it was spelled ‘Slo’. Most historians think that the name came from the slough or muddy land between Upton-cum-Chalvey and Eton.
Slough originally developed as a stopping-off point for coaches travelling between London and Bath and remained a small village until the mid-1800s. With the development of the railway, Slough quickly became a thriving town and a popular place to live by being within easy reach of both London and Windsor. The growth of the Trading Estate in the 20th Century means that Slough continues to be both a busy and successful town.